Therapy is an important step on a patient’s road to recovery. However, since rehabilitation doesn’t generate as much revenue, as for example- a surgery center, it may be necessary to remind senior management of the value that your department contributes to your facility. For this reason, Rehabilitation Managers and Directors of Rehabilitation must be well aware of how to demonstrate to supervisors the impact of therapy to the facility’s bottom line and reputation for success.
Showcasing the value that therapy adds to your facility
Your rehabilitation department makes a big difference in a patient’s quality of experience, length of recovery time, and readmission rates. Communicating value to senior management requires both numbers and testimonials. These efforts can take various forms.
- Measure your rehabilitation outcomes. Measuring your department’s outcomes enable you to demonstrate to your facility, the public, and your patients the quality of therapy you provide. No one likes to spend time measuring patient outcomes, but the value of quantifying your success is worth the hassle. Be disciplined to have your patients complete discharge surveys. The patient satisfaction rating is a key indicator of your success.
- Consider using a third party to conduct patient satisfaction surveys. A survey run by a 3rd party has more validity and increases your objectivity. Measure your rehabilitation outcomes by comparing them to national benchmarks. If you are part of a large hospital organization, you’ll be able to track the health of a patient post-care, as well as frequency of readmissions. These are important measures of the effectiveness of your treatments. Demonstrating that you have reduced readmissions underscores the value of your services.
- Promote your positive outcomes. Positive survey results need to be shared. Run a PR Campaign to promote your great results.
- Capture Testimonials. Everyone likes to hear a great example of how a patient was able to overcome obstacles to complete therapy, heal and achieve a full recovery. Keep track of all patient success stories, and ask for patient testimonials, when appropriate. Share these with senior management, supervisors, and the public.
- Build relationships with the community. Another way to demonstrate the effectiveness of your therapy department is through your contributions to the community around you. Educating is an indirect form of selling, so host some classes! Balance, low impact aerobics, pilates, water aerobics for arthritis; the list is endless. Consider offering wellness workshops at local community centers, senior centers, workout facilities or libraries. Opening your pool or exercise equipment to the community on special occasions also helps you connect with your neighbors.
- Promote any improvements or updates to your facility. If you remodel, add new staff members, or grow in any way… promote it! These events show changes for the better. Offer open houses and tours of your renewed facility. Allow your therapy department to project an image of success just by its appearance.
Therapy adds value, so why not show it?
Not only will your efforts impact your department’s reputation with senior management at your facility, it can also help you protect your job security. Both of these reasons make it well worth your time to take steps that prove therapy’s value. What have you found to be the most effective way to communicate the success of your department with your senior management? Please add you comments and suggestions below!
Looking for therapy staff to supplement your facility?
PT Solutions can help. We place our clients with qualified occupational and physical therapists, and speech language pathologists that are well matched to open job opportunities. To learn more, contact PT Solutions today.