Traveling for your job can seem exciting, but week after week of being in a new city and changing surroundings, can start to lose its appeal if you don’t establish some new routines. When you don’t have a routine to follow, you can start to miss the normal parts of life. The things you may take for granted such as having a set time for meals, working-out, and even days off can be difficult to schedule, so here are some steps you can take to feel more “at home” while you travel.
Start by making a list of things you value and prioritize your time accordingly. Some areas of priority might be meeting new friends, exercise, learning a new activity, eating the local cuisine, or taking advantage of the art and culture of your new home. This list will be different for everyone, but there are some basics that will help you establish routines:
- Bring what you need to sleep. For some people it may mean a pillow or scent that helps them fall asleep and stay asleep. Others may need a certain bedtime routine involving tea or yoga, but whatever your individual preferences are, remember that staying well-rested is an important part of travel.
- Stay connected. You may want to bring a tablet or laptop with you when you are away from home. This can be the fastest and easiest way to stay connected with home, and bring you comfort if you start to miss talking with your family. The numerous ways to communicate such as Skype, Google+ Hangouts, and even a quick email can keep you from feeling too far from home.
- Use your own hygiene products. While it may seem cheaper and easier to just use what the hotel provides, it can prove to be a mistake. You may be allergic to the products or they may not work as well as you would hope; leaving your skin and hair are a mess. Since you aren’t home, you don’t have access to the products you would use to fix the problem so you are stuck. Bring your own scents and products so that you can feel like yourself.
- Arrive early and give yourself some time to get your bearings. When you travel for work, chances are you are expected to hit the ground running, so plan on getting to your new location a day early, at least. This will give you time to find the grocery store, stock up on healthy snacks, unpack your clothes, and charge your devices so you are truly ready to start work the next day.
- Study the map. Being lost wastes precious time and makes you realize just how far away from home you really are. You can avoid this headache by investing in a Garmin or smart phone with a map and street finder app. Use these tools to plan your route to work and to find your way around on weekend excursions. This is one investment that you don’t want to leave home without!
These are just some easy steps you can take to make traveling easier, but also to help you feel at home in a variety of surroundings. Taking the time to settle in and organize your room in a pleasing manner can create a comfortable feeling and help you perform better for the duration of your time.
PT Solutions offers a wide range of travel healthcare positions including OT positions in South Carolina. Why not travel for work and be able to enjoy your new surroundings on your off time? When you find a job you truly enjoy, travel can be a perk of the position and you can grow in your career all the while exploring a new area. Contact us today to learn more!