You’ve passed your classes with flying colors, kept up your GPA, and spent hours in clinical internships. You’ve walked across the stage and received your diploma. You might even have a job all lined up. The only thing standing between you and your first paycheck is passing the dreaded National Physical Therapy Exam (NPTE). As hard as it is to focus on more studying when you just want to get out there and start earning some money, you have to clear one more hurdle before you get that PT License in the mail. Since your career depends on passing this exam, you owe it to yourself to make time to prepare for this test and do your very best.
To help you get started, we’ve compiled a list of five different resources that are available to help you review. The APTA also recommends you check with your PT school for materials available in their library or bookstore.
Five valuable resources for NPTE review
Check out any of the following aids to get into tip-top test-passing shape for your NPTE:
- TherapyEd offers a licensure exam prep course in multiple locations nationwide, as well as a study guide for exam review. You can access valuable information to help you learn about current exam requirements, which areas to focus your study efforts on, and how to interpret and answer multiple choice questions — all helping you to maximize your time spent studying and taking the NPTE. You can find more information by visiting their website.
- Slack Books offers a variety of educational resources for PTs and other healthcare professionals. The Physical Therapist Examination Review (ninth edition), authored by Theresa Mayer, PT, will help you to be prepared and ready to take your NPTE. For ordering information, visit them online, or call 1.800.257.8290.
- Scorebuilders offers a selection of review options — in-person review courses, online resources or printed review materials — with everything you’ll need to pass the NPTE. Comprehensive review includes academic material, recently released practice questions, full length practice exams and explanations of correct answers. To learn more, visit them online.
- Therapy Exam Prep. This unique program helps you to prepare for the exam by studying, but also getting ready to think like a practicing clinician. It includes live webinars and recordings, forums and questions, as well as guidance and feedback. Even better, it’s all available online, so you can study from the comfort of your own home. To learn more, visit their website.
- The Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT). This organization offers a review guide and other resources to help you study. And best of all? It’s 100 percent free. To learn more, visit them online.
More information on the NPTE
The NPTE is administered entirely by computer at a Prometric Testing Center. You must register to take the exam, with eligibility requirements determined by the state in which you’re applying for licensure. The exam consists of 250 multiple-choice questions falling under five different categories. Since there’s no penalty for answering a question incorrectly, it’s important to answer all exam questions, even if you’re unsure of their answers. Only 200 of the 250 questions are scored, and you’re required to earn a minimum scaled score of 600 to pass. More information about the NPTE is available by visiting the APTA website.
Did we miss anything?
If you know of other NPTE review resources or study aides that can help future physical therapists prepare for their licensing exam, please add to our list in the comments section below. Thanks!
Your next career move
Once you’ve studied hard and passed your NPTE, you’ll be ready to begin your career as an officially licensed PT. If you’re not sure where to look for your first job, let PT Solutions help. We’re a staffing company run by therapists for therapists, and we’ll work with you to find a placement that will help you launch your PT career in the right direction. To learn more, contact PT Solutions today!